[Pre-RFC] Domains as namespaces

Moderator note: Everyone, chill out. If you want to participate on this forum, you must do it without sniping at other users.

6 Likes

There isn’t any. This is intentional, because doing this would be a terrible idea.

Allowing people to refer to namespaces from within the source code would make it impossible to switch out unmaintained crates with maintained ones (who have been forked and live under a different organization) without having to touch every single source file.

That's an atypical understanding of namespaces. Not that it is necessarily bad. I think the ability to swap out unmaintained packages for maintained packages has a certain appeal, but what you are proposing does run counter to what people will be used to. In particular it is not what the other main domain-based namespacing system does (the JVM ecosystem). It is also not how npm scopes work.

Including namespaces in how you refer to packages in code is the standard way to do things. Calling it a terrible idea out of hand is unjustifiably dismissive. The position that conflicts won't happen much and when they do you can just use crate renaming is an interesting one. It has the benefit of keeping the language the same. I really like the idea of keeping the changes confined to the package manager.

If you go federated, you can sign packages and cargo can verify the signatures. The server signature would be stored somewhere like .well-known, and cached locally both in crates.io and in Cargo.lock (or maybe a Cargo.sig – we don’t wanna leave out library packages!). This means if a domain changes ownership, this won’t lead to a potential security issue.

Ofc, it provides little to no protection against that domain/server being hacked, and servers are generally easier to hack than a crate developer’s computer. This is one point where a centralized registry is beneficial - if you have many registries, it’s likely that at least some of them will have security vulnerabilities. If you have a centralized registry, it’s a lot easier to patch those vulns.

In any case, federation wouldn’t necessarily make the attack surface any smaller - crates.io would still be a single point of failure, as it’d be the default registry. If the ability to use alternative registries takes off, tho, it could lead to a smaller attack surface, as different registries could be using different software with different vulnerabilities or even a strong layer of hardening. Some registries could even be served over static pages + a cron job that checks for updates, making hacking them quite a task!

Maybe this is a tangent, but this term "federated" has shown up enough times that I want to stop and ask what that word means.

The only definition I was able to find via googling was Julia's:

which sounds like exactly what we're going to get from cargo supporting alternative registries, so whatever @Soni means by "federated" must be more than just that. Right?

it means the ability to publish crates depending on example.org’s whatever on crates.io, and having crates.io fetch the crates from example.org and cache them in crates.io, and having cargo fetch example.org’s packages from crates.io, so it’s NOT what the “alternative registries” RFC proposes.

the “alternative registries” RFC proposes: registries are independent and fully isolated, so they can’t ever talk to eachother. dependencies from different registries aren’t allowed to be mixed together.

it’s completely different. both involve independent parties and independent moderation, but, for benefits of federation: (non-federation lacks these, so they can be considered drawbacks for non-federation)

• reliability, as if a registry goes down you can just switch to another and everything’s cached
  • deduplication, rather than publishing (separately) on multiple registries, you only publish once and it gets automatically distributed
  • namespacing (as talked about in this post)
  • there are more I can’t currently think of, but I encourage ppl to talk about them as well (:

otoh, federation has the following drawbacks compared to non-federation:

• wider attack surface, as you can hack another registry and the hacked contents will get automatically distributed as with a non-malicious crate. (malware scans help mitigate this problem - remember: always sanitize your inputs, even if they come from a federated server ;))
  • um, there are probably more that I can’t think of? (“change of domain ownership” etc aren’t a problem if the server signature (public key) also changes, so I’m not sure if it should be counted here. but do note that the signature is independent of the domain name!)

I haven't used the JVM ecosystem extensively, so perhaps I was wrong. I was under the impression that the groupId would show up in import statements in your code as well as any place where you use the fully qualified name in an expression. For example, I see some spring tutorials that contain the line import org.springframework.web.bind.annotation.RequestMapping;. Isn't org.springframework from the groupId of the package?

Fortunately, Rust doesn’t even have the rather arbitrary (and unenforced) package naming convention and I’m not suggesting that Rust should adopt it. (That design smells a bit like the stuff suggested in [Pre-RFC]: Packages as Namespaces though, which I think is a poor idea for the obvious reasons.)

Could you expand on that a bit? I'm not sure what you mean by "arbitrary (and unenforced) package naming convention". Is it a java naming thing? Also, if you have objections to packages as namespaces besides the ability to name crates of the same name in different namespaces, I would love it if you would share them over on that thread.

Using reverse url to name packages in Java is just an old convention (since java 1.0 IIRC, long before any package manager), but it is not mandatory at all.

Ah, thanks!

Where do existing packages where package.name and lib.name don’t match fit into this?

I think a more interesting end goal is embracing the separation between package.name and lib.name, and effectively having everyone use rename-dependencies (by convention instead of requirement):

[dependencies]
serde = { version = "1.0", org = "serde.rs", package = "serde" }

This way it doesn’t matter what lib.name is, just the name of the package (and organization).

That makes sense. It seems like a pretty reasonable way to approach things.

If crate name is still unique through out of crate.io, people still need squatting crate name. Why you claim namespace addresses the squatting issue?

I’m very supportive of this. I come from Go, where it is very normal to have domain names in the source code directly. No, it doesn’t matierially make it harder to switch from one package to another – either they implement the same API (and it’s a search & replace operation) or they don’t (and it’s a bigger task anyway).

It irks me to no end how misleading the crates.io namespace is – I’ve found myself using bad, unmaintained, and suboptimal crates on a regular basis because it looks like a curated namespace but isn’t. At least with domains we make it clear that you’re just picking up some person’s idea of the thing.

(post deleted by author)

2 Likes

You said, keep everything that exists as it is, add organization.

Crate name is unique now, which you don’t change.

Do you need to verify your domain?

I'm pretty sure that this idea, if adopted, will also add a lot of lines to config.toml file. Maybe for Java world it's ok to have huge xml configs, but I don't want this destiny for Rust.

1 Like

No, because either you're hosting a package there or you're not. There's no arbiter that you have to prove things to.

1 Like

[Everyone, please try to raise the level of discussion here. Focus on adding new information or ideas, and asking questions about things you need clarified. Flag inappropriate or unconstructive comments rather than replying to them.]

4 Likes

@anon2808951 I’m confused, Looking up top it seems there was a lot of good discussion on the downsides of this, but I’m not sure if this has been addressed and how? This post has gotten very long with side conversations not relevant to continuing discussion for “Domains as namespaces” How do we solve the “I need to own a domain first” or “I no longer care about maintaining the domain” or “my domain was hacked” or “some one else owns my domain now” as well as anything else that was mentioned. Is there a way for you to collect the relevant arguments made in this thread and your arguments against them? Maybe post an edit to the original post and create a new post down here so people can focus on taking on the challenges of this approach?

Coming into this discussion as a result of the “Internals summary” email, it’s no longer clear to me what is being proposed. (I assume it was initially, but the ensuing discussion seems to have resulted in some changes?) I read A) that we’ll be adding a new capability (namespaces, which must be claimed on the basis of a URL) but not changing anything else, and B) that we’ll no longer need to worry about squatting in the existing (global) namespace, but it’s not clear to me how those two things aren’t contradictory.

Since that part of the proposal is confusing, I won’t comment.

What I will say, however, is that having some global crates and some namespaced crates is far from an ideal solution, because global names will always seem to have an air of “special-ness” to them. Some kind of “original crate privilege.” Like how having an implementation of hashids named “hashids” is better than having a crate named “johnny-hashids.” One of them obviously came first, and even if that doesn’t actually make the “original” crate better, it’s something that we–as imperfect animals–still take into account.

To be fair, I pushed for namespaces a long time ago, basically as a result of seeing the proliferation of iron-specific crates with super-generic names like “router.” “iron/router” would have seemed to me to be a lot less abusive of a limited shared resource (like, you know, the global namespace)–but to have them as required going forward (rather than optional) seems to pretty obviously damage the options available to future users of cargo. Furthermore, if they aren’t required going forward, then I don’t see what this solves regarding the idea of squatting.

Reading through the entire thread just now gave me the impression that there are a good number of legitimate problems with this approach and, although there are also potential solutions to those problems here, I couldn’t shake the feeling that they seemed like patches on a tire–ad hoc solutions offered under duress, in the heat of the moment, so to speak. Anyway, if you’re trying to sell me a tire, I prefer a new tire, you know?

I know I sound like an old man, but having a problem does not justify having a solution. Having a problem can justify having the right solution, provided that the unintended consequences of that solution aren’t worse than the problem itself. I understand that one of the great benefits of open source is that we have a large number of people attacking problems from every angle, but we still have to remember that doing nothing is also a viable response to most problems.

So, for now, I still advocate doing nothing.

5 Likes

I like the idea of namespaces, if the existing crates become part of the crates.io namespace, as part of a federated system.

That way, they aren’t special - they’re all just crates on an instance.

Using the short form, without specifying the namespace, would be deprecated and generate warnings, to further move away from the “specialness” of the default namespace - which is only necessary for backwards compatibility reasons.