[Pre-RFC] Domains as namespaces

What's the plan for referring to namespaced crates in rust code? There was a lot of focus on this issue over on the packages as namespaces thread, which alternative proposals could mine for ideas. The one that I'm going to move forward for for that proposal is mapping / to ::>, which would probably work fine here as well. There does need to be some way to mangle the . that can show up in domains.

I guess one alternative would be to say "You can't depend on both ethanpailes.github.io/somecrate and soc.github.io/somecrate at the same time. Then you name somecrate in rust code with the word somecrate. I worry that such an approach erases some of the benefits of namespacing.

Avoid creating a hard dependency on external services. The recent GitHub service interruption is a good example why this is important.

It sounds like we would end up encouraging many users to use their github pages subdomain as a namespace. That wouldn't create a hard dependency in theory, but it might in practice. It's worth considering at least.