Pre-RFC: Arbitrary bit-width integers

If uN covers the range [0, 2N) and iN covers the range [−2N − 1, 2N − 1), then u0 should cover [0, 1), while i0 should cover [−½, ½). The only integer in either range is zero. This removes the ambiguity. (Shamelessly stolen from scottmcm’s post.)

Alternatively, if we require that

• <T as Default>::default().into<U>() == <U as Default>::default(),
  • iN : Default, and
  • iN : Into<iM> for N ≤ M,

then we also must have <i0 as Default>::default() be zero.

Back to the issue at hand: I would favour a solution where irregular-bit-width integers behave like ordinary types with respect to ABI, while bitpacking is solved by an orthogonal feature.

4 Likes

This could be solved by also adding a lang-itemed Int<N> type in the standard library that can be used to add impls, or introduce a new syntax like i{N} or a builtin macro primitive_int!(N) for a const generic variable N.

Well it certainly could if the alignment is defined in a compatible manner and i32 is just seen as a buildin type alias for Int<32>

Does it? 1st The const generic parameter might also be a u8 rather them a usize. 2nd const generic constrains are likely something that should be added eventually and 3rd the compiler might formally allow impls for such types but rejects creating actual instances for them. (This however might conflict with const generic expressions).

These types could just live in the core library using lang-items just like other special types like PhantomData.

Keep in mind that Zig does not support generic types or operator overloading, so their design is influenced by this. Rust does not define complex number types like C do because you can just define them with a generic type in a library and overload operators for them.

I think there should definitily a way that end users can define their own impl for these types. So we either introduce a generic capture as mentioned above or

My personal feeling is that generic integers are something that should not be in the language but in the standard library, as it is a nice type, that benefits from having const generics. My example is PhantomData or to a less degree the nonzero types: Types, that also lives in core, but have a big compiler support. The compiler may either ensure that the build in integer types match Int<8>, Int<16>, etc. in the same way as type aliases, or treat these types as second class citisens, different from the buildin integer types

2 Likes

For what it's worth, in nightly Rust it is already quite possible to express constraints on const generic parameters by lifting them to the type level:

#![feature(generic_const_exprs)]

struct Assert<const B: bool>;

trait True {}

impl True for Assert<true> {}

struct Int<const W: u8>
where
    Assert<{1 <= W}>: True,
    Assert<{W <= 24}>: True,
{}

fn main() {
    let a = Int::<17>{}; // Ok
    let b = Int::<0>{};  // Fails to compile
    let c = Int::<25>{}; // Fails to compile
}
4 Likes

I assume pattern matching with these arbitrary bit-width integers would be exhaustive? I could cut quite a few unreachable!()s from my match expressions if so...

I like the idea of having separate types, but in terms of API design, when I want a function to accept, for example, an 8-bit unsigned integer, should I use Uint<8> or u8? What if that same function also requires a 7-bit unsigned integer -- should I mix u8 and Uint<7> in that case? (These are open questions not directed at @kpreid :slight_smile:).

What's a use case for i0 or u0? We certainly can support them, although I'm not sure the added mental complexity is worth the effort. They would be isomorphic to (), which AFAIK is already fairly useless outside return types and generic parameters.

I know I've brought this up before, but are we certain that arbitrary bit-width integers is preferred over ranged integers? I feel like the latter would be far more useful and would subsume the entire use case of the former.

16 Likes

struct Foo; is also isomorphic to (), but is useful enough that it even has its own dedicated syntax.

I think it's useful for the same kinds of generic reasons that () is useful, and for the same kinds of reasons that [_; 0] exists as a type.

For example, u0 is the perfect always-in-bounds type for indexing a [T; 0] , the same way that u8 is the perfect always-in-bounds type for indexing a [T; 256].

+1

I'd much rather have Integer<0..10> for indexing a [T; 10], for example.

Though there might be value in both -- I'd like Integer<A..B> + Integer<C..D> -> Integer<A+C..B+D>, but that means that Integer<0..256> would need to be a different type from u8.

5 Likes

-> Integer<A+C..B+D-1> (and assuming C>A, D>B).

I think there are overlapping yet distinct reasons to have all of primitives, arbitrary POD bit-widths, and ranged versions. Which is to say, I feel the types should be distinct from one another.

1 Like

I don't see an issue having Integer<0, 255> (I prefer an inclusive end) being different than u8. A u8 could actually be defined in terms of the former.

The deranged crate is my general thought for an API based on this. There are additional things that would be nice, such as arithmetic in the manner mentioned (it's just not stable yet).

1 Like

Yeah, that's fair -- and the only option right now for deranged since it wants to support the full range of the underlying type.

I always default to half-open, but since this is actually about interval arithmetic, full-closed is probably easier to represent. Integer<A..B> * Integer<C..D> -> Integer<A*B..(B*D-B-D+1)> would be no fun.

EDIT: Oops, +1. Thanks quinedot

Intuition-wise I'd expect adding 1 to an Integer<0, 255> gives me an Integer<1, 256>. I don't quite expect that of u<8>, but perhaps that's just conditioning.

1 Like

For clarity, I meant having it as an opaque wrapper type, not a type alias. The semantics would not change from current.

1 Like

Really overengineered idea:

type u8 = Wrapping<UInt<0..=255>>;
3 Likes

The knock-on effects of this don't sit well with me. What is the type of Wrapping<UInt<A..=B>> + Wrapping<UInt<C..=D>>? How does this mesh with the return type of UInt<A..=B> + UInt<C..=D>?

A type error, just like u8 + u32. I'm not saying it's necessarily a good idea (I have no concrete idea), just an interesting one.

The biggest issue is, well, u8 isn't actually Wrapping<UInt<0..=255>>, because that's Wrapping<u8>. u8 is instead WrappingOrPanicking<UInt<0..=255>>. And since Wrapping<u8> works, we'd need to support both Wrapping<UInt<0..=255>> and Wrapping<WrappingOrPanicking<UInt<0..=255>> or do some sort of magic to make Wrapping<u8> not do that nesting, even in the face of generics.

Interesting idea, but probably not a very viable one. Thus why I called it overengineered.

Or we just make UInt<A..=B> have the conditionally-wrapping-or-panicking modular arithmetic behavior, then add e.g. Growing<UInt<A..=B>> for the growing bounds behavior.

I still don't really like it, but that seems at least a possible solution.

I agree about this not being the greatest path, but thinking about this some more…is this something we'd be OK with?

let a: Wrapping<10..=20> = 15;
let b = a + 7;
assert_eq!(b, 11); // originally had 12, but `20` eats up a step, so it should be 11

Maybe instead of a completely free choice of a range, instead, there should be Biased<Bias, Size> which is an integer which can represent Size distinct values which are offset from 0 by Bias. I would suppose that something like type UInt<A..=B> = Biased<A, Len<A..=B>::SIZE>; might be possible with enough const magic. It'd make 1-based indexing APIs (e.g., Lua or Julia bindings) easier to work with I suppose…

(not to anyone in particular)

I didn't mean to derail this thread; it should probably be split off to a new thread if @moderators wouldn't mind.

For the primitive integers, it's honestly probably best to avoid discussion on that, as realistically it's not a blocker in any way and may never change.

Just like to quickly drop this: If the range of an N bit signed integer is [-2^(N-1), 2^(N-1)-1], then that would imply that the only value of a 0-bit integer is -1/2. A perfect compromise between -1 and 0.

1 Like

Except for the fact that -1/2 is not an integer...

Anyway, I think this whole "0-bit integer should be 0 or -1" argument is just a distraction from the more interesting questions in this thread. I suggest that if people really want to discuss that question that a new thread should be created dedicated to the numerical value of a 0-bit integer.

11 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: What's a "zero-bit integer"?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.