Placeholder Syntax

I don't think _ is right for Rust, because in other contexts it means ignored/unused/whatever, and in closures it would be an actual non-ignored value.

Swift has:

numbers.sort { $0 > $1 }

that means numbers.sort(|a, b| a > b). So maybe something in that direction?

10 Likes

Honestly I've not been that annoyed by the lack of placeholder syntax like this in Rust.

For comparison, it was really annoying in old C# when they way to make a delegate was delegate(string x) { Console.WriteLine(x) }, because that's just so wordy. But one of the newer versions added new syntax to make it just x => Console.WriteLine(x), and that's been fine. I could often just pass Console.WriteLine as a method group here, like passing Add::add instead of |a, b| a + b in Rust, but I'm using the full delegate here for a better parallel to the following Rust example.

Similarly, with rust just using |x| println!("{}", x) it hasn't bothered me to need to name the value. It reminds me of how I'm not annoyed that I need the i in for i in 0..n -- that could also have a placeholder, but I think it's good it doesn't, and just using the by-convention typical name is fine.

:100:

Especially when you consider that the placeholder might be getting passed to a macro, which makes everything way more complicated.

7 Likes

+1 for this syntax. Perhaps coming from a different background I found it surprising Rust doesn't have placeholder syntax for values, since it essentially has placeholder syntax for types (let v : Vec<_> = ....collect();).

Scoping should be fairly narrow. foo(bar(_, 5)) becomes foo(|x| bar(x, 5)), _.name becomes |x| x.name. While I know this transformation should not be type aware (that is, it should happen based just on the parse tree), I do think that the type system will catch the majority of mistakes, especially while learning. That is, foo(bar(_.name, 5)) expecting foo(|x| bar(x.name, 5)) is probably going to be a type error.

I'd love to see this in Rust.

1 Like

It does:

let Some(_) = Some(2);
2 Likes

This could be solved with explicit delimiters, which could actually make the end of the expression more apparent than it is with the existing |x| expr notation in some cases. The trouble is we're out of delimiters ... but not if we leave ASCII.

foo(bar(⟦_⟧, 5))     foo(bar(|x| x, 5))
foo(⟦bar(_, 5)⟧)     foo(|x| bar(x, 5))
⟦ _.call(5) ⟧        |x| x.call(5)
⟦ _ ⟧.call(5)        (|x| x).call(5)

You want more than one argument? Underscores not descriptive enough?

⟦ x, y | x + y ⟧     | x, y | x + y

(Not entirely joking.)

(Could this be implemented with a proc macro? #[placeholder_closures] enables this notation for the subsequent item...)

3 Likes

No, attribute macros have to take valid syntax as an input.

But this can't be handled by a bang macro, either, as the non-ASCII characters are unrecognized tokens and rejected even in positions without any syntax.

(e.g. macro_rules! m { (⟦_⟧) => {}; } is an error.)

You could probably do a proc macro to make m!(_ + 5) and such work, though. In that case I'd make the closure extent the bang macro. An attribute macro doesn't work, again because it's currently not valid syntax, as _ is not a valid expression.

(News to me actually; I thought it was syntactically accepted but semantically rejected as an expression, as a reserved identifier, but it's also rejected in #[cfg]'d out code.)

2 Likes

Yes, but. Wouldn't this defeat the whole point of the proposal? I'd rather not have two, approximately equally complex syntaxes for closures. Once we start writing ⟦ x, y | x + y ⟧, we might as well stick with |x, y| x + y.

7 Likes

It was not an entirely serious proposal, but the virtue I see in it is entirely due to the visually-obvious ending delimiter for the closure. As evidence for the value of this, see the earlier draft of my post in which I wrote that foo(bar(|x| x, 5)) would correspond to foo(bar(⟦_, 5⟧)) instead of foo(bar(⟦_⟧, 5)).

... Come to think of it, would the entirely ASCII syntax

{ arg, arg, ... | STATEMENTS }

be ambiguous with any other existing syntax in the language? With or without the additional frill of allowing {| _ + 5} to be shorthand for { _ | _ + 5 }. This would, hypothetically, replace the existing

| arg, arg, ... | EXPR or BLOCK

closure syntax. I'm guessing it's a non-starter because it's ambiguous with | as a binary operator.

One of these? %)

\[ _ + 3 ]
.[ _ + 3 ]
^[ _ + 3 ]
~[ _ + 3 ]

The reason | works as a closure delimiter is because as a binary operator, there's no valid reason to start a expr with |. So the solution to | being a binary operator already exists: start your closure declaration with |. But then you're quickly on the road to existing closure syntax.

If you want to create a closure that omits naming its arguments, why not just do something like |..| _ + 3? Creating some alien prefix or bracket undermines the whole point of trying to simplify closure expressions.

3 Likes

But most of these simple closures only have one argument, so that doesn't make it shorter?

Also, a general downfall of all the "each _ is a separate closure parameter" proposals is that quite often, especially with iterators, you work with a n-tuple instead of n individual arguments which is impossible with the shorthand (_.0 + _.1 would not work).

1 Like

C trigraphs: ??( _ + 3 ??). (No, I'm not seriously suggesting this.)

2 Likes

To be clear, I am mostly okay with the existing closure syntax, and my original post was tongue-in-cheek. But there is one thing I genuinely don't like about the existing closure syntax: the lack of an explicit ending delimiter for single-expression closures. If not for the obvious problems with using non-ASCII punctuation, I would call ⟦ x, y | x + y ⟧ an unambiguous improvement on | x, y | x + y just because of that.

And explicit delimiters also solve the problem raised upthread about not knowing where a placeholder-based closure ends, so hey.

2 Likes

You can optionally use {} as a delimiter if you want/it's unclear, though, right?

|x, y| { x + y }
3 Likes

Rustfmt will eat those, although it won't eat

{ |x, y| x + y }
1 Like

Why are numbers better than letters? I.e., why would

`{ `1 + `2/`1 }

be better than

|x, y| x + y/x

?

The point here isn't to come of with a new syntax. The point is to come up with a better syntax (for something that, IMO, is already very neat and succinct.)

5 Likes

I could be wrong about this, but given the constrains the Rust language is under (in this case specifically making the semantics of a given piece of code obvious in a local context), I'd say that the current closure syntax is either some kind of (local) optimum, or quite close to it.

The various suggestions I've seen here suffer from various issues:

1. Syntax unsupported by the parser. It could be added but then the issue becomes that we might as well stick with the current syntax
  2. _-based syntax suffers from ambiguous scoping rules, and using them in macros would be a potent recipe for bugs i.e. those 2 language features would not compose well.
  3. None of these options I've seen is all that much shorter than the current closure syntax. Combined with the previous issues it raises the question of whether it's worth spending engineering effort on when something like GATs, full const generics (or, dare to dream, full-blown dependent typing) or other language-based features would yield a much better ROI. This matters because even though volunteers are joining the Rust community, especially the resources available to the language team is still quite limited from what I can see. And this makes sense, working on the language part of Rust isn't exactly low-hanging fruit and requires quite a bit of expertise.
11 Likes

Would there be any downsides to accepting _ syntactically? It would still be rejected after semantic analysis, but then crate authors could write an attribute macro to convert _ + 1 to |x| x + 1.

4 Likes

But doesn't that blow your shortness argument?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.