Need help with emscripten port

@jer It doesn’t require deep knowledge of either usually to just get rustc building with a new LLVM, mostly just requires getting the Rust LLVM wrappers and src/rustllvm to build again. Once the new rustc builds you might run into test suite failures, and resolving those gets more difficult. If you wanted to get started you could just rebase the src/llvm submodule onto upstream llvm/master and start building it. @shepmaster’s fork should provide some solid hints about what needs to be fixed.

Thanks! I’ll take a look at it this week.

1 Like

As a note, my PR was closed because of inactivity but the changes are still needed to make emscripten work correctly.

So I took @shepmaster’s changes, applied them to a recent Rust checkout, checked out upstream master for llvm and compiler-rt and was able to compile stage 1 (full build is currently running).

@tomaka: I’ll take a look at that when I have the LLVM thing running.

2 Likes

Beautiful! Thanks for tackling this.

Current status: I got a full succesfull build, but make check fails in 4 cases (3 times LTO, where it can’t find main, it might be optimized out?). I really only took the existing changes from shepmaster and applied them, code lives here: https://github.com/badboy/rust/tree/llvm-upgrade

I hope to get around to clean it up next.

@jer Awesome! Only 4 failures is really encouraging. @kripken is about to start forward porting emscripten’s port to the same merge-base as yours.

Down to one actually, because I partly understood what I’m doing now. @alexcrichton said I should submit this as a PR, so it gets seen by a wider audience to help out fixing last few bits. I will get around to do this this week.

4 Likes

@jer has submitted the LLVM upgrade PR. @habnabit did some cleanup on my emscripten branch of Rust. It looks though like emscripten hasn’t yet updated the incoming branch of their fastcomp LLVM fork.

Next steps are to merge the LLVM upgrade, get @kripken to finish upgrading fastcomp, upgrade my ‘empscripten’ branch of Rust, port our LLVM patches onto fastcomp and submit that as a Rust PR, submit patches to turn on emscripten support in Rust, set up automation to keep emscripten target building.

3 Likes

The LLVM upgrade has now landed

Update: The Rust LLVM upgrade finally landed (thanks @jer and everyone who helped - it was a brutal slog).

Next @kripken is going to upgrade the emscripten incoming branch to the same merge base. But we don’t need to wait for that probably. He’s already prepared a rebase that should be in the ballpark of the same commit: the fastcomp next-merge branch.

So our next step is to take all of their patches, apply them to our tree and merge that into Rust.

Unfortunately, there’s a gotcha - @kripken didn’t realize that our plan was to apply the emscripten LLVM fork to all of our targets and he’s a bit worried about it. The reason is that the fastcomp branch is only tested for the emscripten target, and it’s based on the old pnacl fork, which has a bunch of ancillary patches of unknown value. So we may run into unanticipated problems (and in fact last time we had this working the x86_64 backend miscompiled things).

Furthermore, the fastcomp history is lengthy and messy, with all that pnacl legacy. So we are going to need to scrutinize it carefully and see e.g. if it’s doing anything to the x86 backend. We might, e.g just squash their entire history into one ‘emscripten’ commit, then revert large chunks of it. It could be a big mess. (We also have the option of pursuing a strategy where rustc can optionally use an emscripten-specific LLVM).

It’s also worth noting that the upstream LLVM wasm backend is still in progress and the last I heard the wasm team is trying to have it ready for the wasm launch late this year. So the longer this process goes on the more likely we are to just end up on the upstream wasm backend and skip the asm.js backend completely. Still, I think it’s worth continuing on the path we’re on and seeing how far we can get.

3 Likes

OK, another tantalizing avenue of attack here.

The LLVM wasm backend, while it isn’t fully working, and there are still changes to the wasm spec incoming, works to a relatively large degree, and Rust has it in tree now.

It would be very interesting to see what happens if we turn it on, start laying the groundwork for a wasm-unknown-emscripten target.

Emscripten already has experimental support, documented here. Might be some useful leads there.

2 Likes

Another idea: even though the road to getting working support for emscripten in-tree is still a bit off on the horizon, we’ve already proven it works, and it would be relatively easy to get it working out of tree again. With a working build it would be incredibly valuable for somebody to sprint ahead and begin implementing a webapi-rs or dom-rs crate that exposes web API bindings to Rust. If we do this work in parallel then by the time we are ready to produce a wasm target we will not only have something that runs on the web, but something ready to challenge JavaScript directly. We’ll be way ahead of everyone.

5 Likes

How does WebAssembly communicate with the “environment” (like canvas, WebAudio, fullscreen, etc.)? I imagine all the interfaces that the W3C defines (like this or this for example) will be accessible, but I can’t find any document that describes how.

That was my plan indeed. There’s some old code around I want to re-use for the dom-rs thingy. I will work on compiling emscripten out-of-tree again in the coming days. I will post instructions once I have a successful build.

@tomaka wasm v1 itself does not provide any facilities for calling web APIs, but emscripten does and will. Here’s the user facing documentation on it. Doing the same thing in Rust will require some digging into how the mechanism works under the hood.

The basic idea is to compile down strings of javascript into LLVM IR, following some pattern that emscripten recognizes. emscripten will then emit these as plain javascript and add them to the asm.js import list. I don’t know exactly how this will translate to wasm, but presumably emscripten will have a similar facility for that format as well.

The focus seems to be on computation at the beginning, so it “doesn’t” a whole lot right now, in the sense that interacting with existing DOM APIs directly doesn’t seem to be planned in the MVP, nor soon after (PostMVP) but probably after that: https://github.com/WebAssembly/design/blob/master/GC.md However, the browser environment and JS — and this already does work right now — can make javascript functions accessible to wasm modules. Modules can import functions and call them, like you’d import a function from another wasm module. For now, it seems the “only way” would be to have the wasm modules import some JS glue to the web APIs you want to interact with, (IIRC another planned thing is being able to export the wasm memory to be accessible to JS as a Uint8Array. I think it’ll be so you can interact with the wasm with more flexiblity than calling fns with just 4 numeric types) until one can interact with the real APIs directly and remove that glue code and overhead.

That's interesting. I wonder how we could integrate such a JS glue file in Rust/Cargo's build system. Everything will probably remain a bit blurry until we have some sort of prototype.

I think this is the same as the approach I linked previously. You treat it like web-specific assembly code and emscripten packages it up for you.

@brson yes probably, maybe some of it can even be generated by emscripten (was it the WebIDL binder maybe?)