Kickstarting a database-wg

Hi and thanks @spacekookie for starting this. I’m the person who wrote the Reddit post about “Are We Database Yet?”, so thanks for sharing this link on the reddit post.

My interests are in:

• creating common interfaces for databases (async and sync), which reduces overhead for developers spending hours picking up a database crate
  • creating/improving bulk data interaction with databases

Both were sparked by struggling to use a few database crates for different kinds of workloads. I think Diesel would benefit from standardisation as it would become easier to support more databases. Serde support for ‘all’ databases would also benefit users who aren’t using Diesel, but want a type-safe interface into their databases.

I’ve used Apache Arrow since its inception (Python world), and the work that @andygrove and other Rust commiters on Arrow are doing inspired me to start contributing to its Rust implementation.

My personal goal on Arrow is to increase IO support, with our CSV support now only left with date/time read/write, and JSON support underway. I started tinkering with batch/bulk database IO using Arrow, and I’m planning on working on that over the coming months.

I think there might/would already be enough people interested in async, web and OLTP use-cases in general, so I’d like to put my hand up to also work on our OLAP use-cases.

3 Likes